No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
Raiatea is the administrative center of the Leeward Islands and is located a little over 30 minutes away by plane from Tahiti.
With Mt Temehani (772m), a sort of Polynesian Olympus and “fragrant paradise”, where the strange and unique “Tiare apetahi” plant is found, Raiatea is particularly suitable for land excursions and hiking.
Its many waterfalls, the deep and narrow Faaroa Bay and its fertile valleys are equally attractive as its charming lagoon with its many islets.
Raiatea kept many traces, from its pasts as a great spiritual center, among which the Taputapuatea Marae, the largest in Polynesia. Today it has become a place of pilgrimage for Maoris and Hawaiians.
- Natural features, a unique natural heritage : many deep bays, a well-preserved spectacular environment (craters, waterfalls), vanilla plantations
- The cradle of Polynesian culture
- The real boating capital of the islands
- A special underwater world where diversity reigns
- The world’s rarest plants, the unsual “Tiare Apetahi”
Activities and Sightseeing
- The Faaroa garden
- Vanilla plantation visits
- Islands escursions or eco-tourism
- 4 x 4 safari
- Walking paths
- Horseback riding
- Nautical lagoon & coral reef pass excursions
- Surfing, fly surfing, kite surfing, wind surfing
- Private helicopter tour
- Lagoon cruises
- Vanilla plantation
- Royal Marae of Taputapuatea
- Mount Temehani
- Seaplane service
Archipelago : SOCIETY ISLANDS
Surface : 51 sq miles
Location : 120 miles northwest of Tahiti
Population : + 12,832
Highest peak :
Mount Tefatoaiti (3,337 feet)
Capital city : Uturoa