Located more than 1 700 kilometers east of Tahiti, the Gambier Archipelago has rare atmosphere of history and mystery that make the trip worthwhile.
Mangareva, the farthest island from Tahiti, is practically the only inhabited island.
Cradle of Catholicism in Polynesia, its feature many remnants of religious buildings form the mid-1800s, such as Saint Michel cathedral, where the altar, inlaid with mother of pearl and studded with black pearls, is a marvel, a unique experience.
- A lagoon full of extraordinary colors
- A verdant landscape
- The capital of the pearl industry
- A place rich in history
Activities and Sightseeing
- Pearl farms visits
- Catholicism’s remains
- The Saint Michel Cathedral
- Circle island tour : climbing mount Duff and mount Mokoto
- Fishing in the lagoon or in deep sea
- Visit other islands
Archipelago : GAMBIER
Surface : 54 sq.mi.
Location : 1,056 miles east of Tahiti
Population : + 1 445
Highest peak :
Mount Duff (1,447 feet)
Capital city : Rikitea