The island can be easily visited from Tahiti, either by boat (35 mn) or by plane (10 mn). Because of the short distance that separates Tahiti and Moorea (10 miles / 17 km), it often carries the nickname of Sister island (of Tahiti).
The sister island is covered by trees, carefully maintained gardens, beautiful fares with pandanus roofs, cool rivers and waterfalls. Many beautiful white sand beaches can be found around Temae (near the airport) and Haapiti – the northern coast between Papetoai and Haapiti gathers the most tourists with many hotels and two gorgeous motus (islets) facing Hauru’s point.
Many dolphins can be seen near Moorea’s passes and every year, the whales attracted by their natural curiosity come to swim with their babies near the reef (they can be observed from August to October).
Its lagoon is perfect to practise all kind of nautical activities (snorkelling, diving, jet-ski …).
To discover the inner-island, tourists will be able to choose between an island circle tour or a ride over mount Rotui (899 meters). Don’t forget to have a look at the waterfalls of Afareaitu. A visit to Opunohu and Cook Bay is obviously recommended – both bays can be admired from the Belvedere viewpoint.
This beautiful island is a luxuriant garden set on a perfect lagoon. Chosen by many painters, artists and writers,its sweetness, its preserved environment and its specific charm immediatlely enchant travellers.
- The authentic island experience
- Nice beaches and lagoon (Ideal for nautical activities)
- Large choice of accommodations
- Gastronomic restaurants
- Many walking rails : climb the island peaks, discover waterfalls, valleys…
- Scuba diving
- Whale & dolphin watch
- Many water activities and underwater exploration
- Easily and rapidly accessible by air and sea
Activities and Sightseeing
- Circle island tour with the Belvedere viewpoint and Opunohu valley archaeological sites
- Royal Marae
- Lagoon excursions (Cook’s and Opunohu’s Bays)
- Tiki Village dinner show
- Water activities and scuba diving with TOPDIVE
- Guided floral and local agriculture tours
- Many walking trails : climb the island peaks, discover waterfalls, valleys and the legendary Opunohu and Cook Bays
- Water ski, jet ski or parasailing par skydiving.
- Moorea fruit juice factory & Manutea Tahiti
- Tahiti Arômes
- Moorea Green pearl golf course Polynesia
- Clinic of turtles
- Relaxation centers and spa
Archipelago : SOCIETY ISLANDS
Surface : 51 sq miles
Location : 10.6 miles from Tahiti
Population : + 17,434
Highest peak :
Mount Tohiea (3,960 feet)
Capital city : Maharepa